August 16, 2023
Copyright Tim Wilkes
Helly Hansen Chester Race Week 2023 kicks off its biggest regatta in a decade this week in Chester, Nova Scotia. Racing begins tomorrow and runs through to the 19th.
Billed as the largest fixed keel regatta in Eastern Canada, Chester Race Week will host over 1,200 sailors from Ontario, PEI, Newfoundland, Bermuda, and the US who descend on the small scenic coastal town for spectacular competition on the water combined with an unrivaled social scene off the water.
Highlights of this year’s event:
- The wildly popular Bluenose Fleet, with 32 competitor boats. The history of the Bluenose Class sloop dates to 1946 when naval architect William J. Roué designed the wooden One Design. These days modifications and improvements in construction of the Bluenose reflects the popularity and demand of a quickly evolving race fleet.
- The One Design course, sailing windward leeward. Back again will be the International One Design Fleet, the Farr 30 Fleet, and the Sonar Fleet.
- The Inshore Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. Within the PHRF-NS Inshore Racing Course, the Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet.
- The Distance Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. This course is open to PHRF-NS boats carrying a spinnaker. The Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet.
- The beautiful Classics (aka the Chester postcard), sailing a Pursuit Race
Named one of Sailing World magazine’s 14 greatest sailing events in North America, each August, 1,200-plus sailors descend on Nova Scotia’s scenic Mahone Bay to compete in one of 15 fleets racing simultaneously on five different race courses. Our fleets accommodate everyone from offshore big boats and one-designs, to classic wooden boats, club racers and no-spinnaker cruising boats.
Chester’s sailing regattas were first documented in 1856 and, since then, tourists and locals alike have taken in the natural beauty of the area by both land and sea. A community-based, volunteer-driven event, Chester Race Week boasts a full schedule of public-friendly events with live music, great food, yacht races, plus racing seminars from internationally renowned sailors, tacticians, boat builders and sailmakers. This is a Bronze-certified Clean Regatta since 2016.
Visit www.ChesterRaceWeek.com and follow along on Instagram: @ChesterRaceWeek and Facebook: /ChesterRaceWeek