Aug 12, 2021
Many Canadian boats and sailors take part in Salty Dawg events
The Salty Dawg’s Fall Rally to the Bahamas will depart from Hampton, VA on November 2 with the Antigua-bound boats, but will head due south for a fur to five day sail to the Abacos in the northern Bahamas. The briefing will touch on pre-departure preparations, passage/arrival, navigation after arriving in the Bahamas, and discussion about spending a cruising season in the Bahamas.
The Caribbean Rally gives you a choice of destinations. Will you point the bow to beautiful Falmouth Harbour, Antigua? Or will you make landfall in gorgeous Harbour Island, Eleuthera in the Bahamas? The choice is yours and either way, paradise awaits.
The Rally includes:
• US Coast Guard presentations and demonstration
• Passage planning guidance and chart review for crossing the Gulf Stream
• Heavy Weather Sailing, Provisioning, MOB tactics, Boat preparation and Seamanship tips and crew consideration seminars
• Weather forecasting and routing by Chris Parker, Marine Weather Center
• Position tracking and Tracking Map for family, friends, USCG, Shoreside Coordinator tracking provided by PredictWind
• Round-the-clock support form a Shoreside Coordinator Team and an Emergency Response Team
• Support from the Government Affairs Team on changing local restrictions in the Chesapeake, Antigua, and the Bahamas
• “Bon Voyage” and “Safe Arrival” Celebrations (tickets required) (In typical Salty Dawg style, we will find a way to conduct these in a safe and creative way, consistent with local health restrictions and guidelines.)
• SSB/HF radio operation and set up assistance
• Free van service to West Marine and grocery stores, sponsored by Hylas Yachts
• Free van service to local attractions, sponsored by the Hampton Conventions and Visitor Bureau
Fees: SDSA Members—$300 Non-Members—$375 (includes SDSA membership dues)
The SDSA unites experienced ocean sailors with developing cruisers to broaden their blue water horizons. All Salty Dawg rallies and events are led by seasoned sailors who volunteer their time and knowledge to help cruisers realize their dreams. Independent thinkers value the Salty Dawg focus on the importance of each skipper’s role to make the right decisions for his or her boat and crew.
More information can be found here.