Mar 30, 2022
Helly Hansen Chester Race Week, August 10 to 13, is back and bigger and better for 2022! Organizers were so delighted to have a successful Race Week in 2021, and even with the public health requirements, the sailing was awesome!
Registration is now open for 2022, and 14 boats have already signed on for some of the best racing this summer. So, register early and tell your friends.
Here’s what’s new for 2022:
A dedicated White Sail Fleet: This year’s edition of Helly Hansen Chester Race Week offers a non-spinnaker division that will sail a pursuit style of race. Pursuit racing is all about sailing as effectively as possible to cross the finish line before the other competing boats. Boats with higher or lower handicaps will either be trying to protect their lead or trying to catch up to cross the finish line before you. The White Sail division is an excellent opportunity to be involved in Helly Hansen Chester Race Week without needing to know the ins and outs of racing tactics. This division has excellent potential for any first-time keelboat racer.
Double-handed Division: The double-handed division will be a pursuit style of race and a fantastic opportunity for skippers and crew to compete against boats with different handicaps. The division will require the skipper and co-skipper (or crew) to show off their sailing skills without requiring a big team to race their boat competitively. Fleet splits will be determined based on registration.
Here’s what’s back for 2022:
- The marvelous Bluenose Fleet, sailing in Chester’s front harbour.
- The One Design course, sailing windward leeward. Back again will be the International One Design Fleet, the Farr 30 Fleet, and the Sonar Fleet. A minimum of five boats of one design required for a fleet to race on this course.
- The Inshore Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. Some may be windward-leeward courses. Within the PHRF-NS Inshore Racing Course, the Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet.
- The Distance Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. The course will be sailed around fixed/inflatable marks. This course is open to PHRF-NS boats carrying a spinnaker. The Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet
- The beautiful Classics, sailing a Pursuit Style of race
Here’s what’s happening after the racing:
- The Hopping Penguins — who have been described as “The Sound of Chester Race Week” and are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year — will open race week on Wednesday, August 10.
- The Mellotones will play on Friday, August 12.
- Chester’s own band Dark & Stormy will play on Saturday, August 13
- All the bands will play from outside on deck where there will be a dance floor, bar, and seating under the tent.
- Each yacht that registers for Helly Hansen Race Week gets five bracelets that are required to attend live entertainment all four night. Until July 31, additional bracelets can be purchased with registration at a discounted price of $15.
- After July 31, bracelets can only be purchased at the gate or ticket window for $22.
To register and learn more about Helly Hansen Chester Race Week, visit www.chesterraceweek.com.