July 5, 2023
Helly Hansen Chester Race Week 2023 will take place in scenic Chester, Nova Scotia from August 16 to 19 and organizers expect that the event will be bigger and better than ever. Billed as the largest fixed keel regatta in Eastern Canada, Chester Race Week offers an unsurpassed racing venue.
Chester Race Week has a rich 120-year history, celebrated for spectacular competition on the water combined with an unrivaled social scene off the water. The event is the largest fixed keel regatta in Eastern Canada hosting over 1,200 sailors.
This year’s event will feature:
- The remarkable Bluenose Fleet with a possible 35 competitor boats. The history of the Bluenose Class sloop dates to 1946 when naval architect William J. Roué designed the wooden One Design. These days modifications and improvements in construction of the Bluenose reflects the popularity and demand of a quickly evolving race fleet.
- The One Design course, sailing windward leeward. Back again will be the International One Design Fleet, the Farr 30 Fleet, and the Sonar Fleet.
- The Inshore Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. Within the PHRF-NS Inshore Racing Course, the Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet.
- The Distance Course, sailing up to two races per day. The course length will depend on the conditions of the day. This course is open to PHRF-NS boats carrying a spinnaker. The Race Committee will set the handicap split for each fleet.
- The beautiful Classics (aka the Chester postcard), sailing a Pursuit Style of race.
The action and fun ashore are part of HHCRW and organizers have planned four nights of live entertainment every day from 4:00-6:00 pm and 7:00-9:00 pm. Wednesday, August 16th will feature The Hopping Penguins; Thursday August 17th will be Merimac; Friday August 18th The Mellotones will perform and Saturday, August 19th Dark and Stormy will take the stage.
There will be an awards and prize giving ceremony each day at 6:00 pm and local food trucks will be on site. Back by popular demand is the Sailing Trivia Contest, for which the winner gets a complimentary entry to Chester Race Week 2024.
The stellar roster of Race Officers heading up the event for 2023 is Principal Race Officer (PRO) Daniel Conrod and Race Officers Peter Van Muyden, John Abel, Luke Porter, Pat Nelder, Tom Clarke and Trish Finlay, accompanied by Chief Judge Katie Nicoll. They are joined by a team of excellent course officials and a committee of dedicated volunteers. On shore activities are coordinated by the Chester Yacht Club and Kim Johnson with local volunteers.
The event is sailed out of the Village of Chester on beautiful Mahone Bay located approximately one hour’s drive southeast of Halifax Nova Scotia.
This year the event is partnering with Suzuki Canada and Suzuki‘s Clean Ocean to promote their Clean Ocean Project for a healthy and clean environment. They also will be doing shoreline cleanups at various Nova Scotia coastal locations.
Also new for this year, HHCRW is integrating Offshore Racing Congress (ORC) scoring within the existing distance fleets as an alternative scoring system for some participants. ORC is globally recognized in local, national, and international races making it the most popular measurement-based rating system in the world.
The presenting sponsor is Helly Hansen with additional support from Engel & Völkers NS, Dormie Workshop, Atlantic Boating Magazine, Goslings, Blue Lobster, Mahone Marine, Salty Dog Tours, and Ocean Yacht Sales. We are also pleased to welcome new sponsors Atlantic Yacht Sales (with deep roots in Chester sailing) and eShop – Halifax’s all electric bike shop and Suzuki Canada & Suzuki’s Clean Ocean Project. To register and learn more visit www.chesterraceweek.com.
About Helly Hansen Chester Race Week
Hosted by the Chester Yacht Club in the picturesque South-Shore Nova Scotia village of Chester in mid-August each year, Chester’s sailing regattas were first documented in 1856 and, since then, tourists and locals alike have taken in the natural beauty of the area by both land and sea. A community-based, volunteer-driven event, CRW boasts a full schedule of public-friendly events with live music, great food, yacht races, plus racing seminars from internationally renowned sailors, tacticians, boat builders and sailmakers. This is a Bronze-certified Clean Regatta since 2016. Visit www.ChesterRaceWeek.com and follow along on Instagram: @ChesterRaceWeek and Facebook: /ChesterRaceWeek