July 19, 2023
Close to 150 sailors were in action this weekend, July 14 to 16, at the St. Margaret Sailing Club in Glen Haven, Nova Scotia, for the Sail Canada 2023 Sail East Championships.
Sailors from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island as well as Newfoundland and Labrador competed at the Sail Canada 2023 Sail East Championships at the Bay Wind Regatta in the 29er, 420, ILCA 4, ILCA 6, ILCA 7 and Opti classes. Sailors from other provinces also took part in the competition.
Sail Canada Sail East is part of three regional championships which are to be attended by:
- U15 sailors in the Optimist class;
- U17 sailors in the ILCA 6, ILCA 4, 420 and 29er classes;
- Open class sailors in ILCA 6, ILCA 7, ILCA 4, 420, 29er and Optimist classes.
These competitions provide a chance for sailors to train and compete with high-level sailors in their region, in addition to serving as talent identification opportunities for regional and provincial sailing teams, as development and mentoring opportunities for coaches, as well as training and development opportunities for officials and volunteers.
The Sail Canada Sail East event is also part of a series of seven Sail Canada National and Regional Championships to be held this summer. Below is the full schedule for the Sail Canada 2023 National and Regional Championships:
- Sail Canada 2023 Senior Kiteboarding Championships: July 7-9 – Kingston, ON
- 2023 Sail East Regional Championships: July 14-16 – Glen Haven, N.S. (St. Margaret Sailing Club)
- 2023 Sail Central Regional Championships: July 20-23 – Hudson, QC (Hudson Yacht Club)
- 2023 Sail West Regional Championships: July 27-30 – Parkland County, AB (Wabamun Sailing Club)
- Sail Canada 2023 Youth Championships: August 8-12 – Kingston, ON
- Sail Canada 2023 ILCA 6 and ILCA 7 Senior Championships: August 8-12 – Kingston, ON
- Sail Canada 2023 49er and 49erFX Senior Championships: September 23-24 – Kingston, ON
Helly Hansen is the proud prize sponsor for the 2023 Sail Canada Championships. All participants registered for Sail Canada’s events can look forward to receiving a perk from Helly Hansen at the season’s end.
Sail Canada Championships are funded – in part- by the Government of Canada.